Friday, June 06, 2008

A few things you, as a casual human being, might not know about kittens

Got a cat two days ago. Here's what I learned that I wish I had known before.

Kittens are expensive. Oh we talked them down to half-price, since they had a crapload of cats in a big cage, but ended up spending 3 times the purchase amount on kitty litter and cat food.

Kittens have sharp teeth that will fall out in 6 months. Our kitty, Lou Dobbs, hasn't had them fall out yet, but I'm not looking forward to this nastiness.

Kittens have to get fixed, and that's even more expensive. Like 200 dollars expensive to snip the kitty. C'mon, even back alley dentistry doesn't cost 200 dollars. Unless you do the platinum upgrade, but that's another story entirely.

Kittens turn into cats, and cats can live 15 to 20 years. I seriously thought I was in this for maybe 3-5 years, not 15-20.

I feel like I'm deep in the poo poo now. At least the kids are happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forget that cats also believe that any flat surface belongs to them. The reason why my computer has 3 games running and 14 internet windows up when I get up in the morning. Why the things from the top of my desk are on the floor in the morning also. They also will break every blind in your house so they can lay on the window sills. Every clean shirt you put on will somehow have cat hair on it.
I suggest you use "the worlds best cat litter" Its more money but it last longer and doesn't stink as bad as the cheaper litter.
I'm sure I'll think of more to go along with this later.

Anonymous said...

I forgot. If you don't pay another $200 bucks to have them declawed. If you don't you can pretty much count on having to buy new furniture, Wood work, Screens, and anything else they feel like shredding. The good news is you can have this done at the same time you get them snipped and maybe save a bit of money.
Lazer surgery is the way to go. It cost a little more but heals way faster.
Your going to need to play Conan soon to escape the cat :-P

M. Smith said...

You and I are gonna grow up to be a couple of old cat ladies. You know, the people that die surrounded by 84 smelly undernourished felines in our 100 degree apartment in France.

I don't really wanna die an old cat lady.

Anonymous said...

I prefer to think that I will grow up to be an old cat man.
You might be a lady :-)

Anonymous said...

Grandma said she would do the cat for $15.00. Good price, poor cat.
Portland is expensive. Wenatchee
clinics cost 60.00. Want to come
home for the weekend? You could
please me and Grandma. Love

Oh by the way, I wondered if you
had thought of Richard Cranium? L/ms

M. Smith said...

Richard Cranium for the kitten's name? Hmm, might be an option.

Anonymous said...

Not after he is fixed, it would be Richardless Cranium...

Anonymous said...

You didn't make the mistake of getting a boy cat did you?

I have 2 words for you if you did.

Squirt, Squirt. Boy cats are known to mark (no pun intended but funny anyway) there territory even after being fixed.

:-)