Sunday, February 11, 2007

Why things matter

I often find myself wondering about the status quo. Moreso than that, I wonder if there is a status quo, and if so, am I even close to being part of it or am I totally so far off my rocker that I'm like the creepy uncle that parents warn their children about.

This one lady at work keeps telling me how weird I am. I think it's usually after I've said/done something funny, so I think she has a problem with synonyms, but sometimes I'm just not sure. She also says it when I say something direct to her that she's doesn't want to hear. I think it's her way of saying, "You're not doing/acting the way I'd like you to act". The thing is, she's definitely not the first person to tell me that I'm weird. I just happen to think she's kind of odd herself.

But I've always admitted to being off-kilter. I don't really want to be a normal, run of the mill bozo in bad Dockers and boat shoes. But I'd like to think that I could, if I tried. I don't know though.

Everybody has their own quirks. One of mine is that I get passionate about certain issues, but a day later I've forgotten all about it. Or else I'm extremely irritated by the human race and pretty much everybody around me. For example, two days ago I was in the local bookstore looking at magazines. This dude next to me is finished flipping through a magazine, and he just places it back on the rack in some random spot, even though it's home was totally out there in the open. And this really pissed me off. I even muttered under my breath after he left, but I think then I became the weird guy in the bookstore that seemed to be talking to himself. How weird.

This is why I can't get into serious pursuits such as politics...I just can't be bothered. One day I might actually care about the environment, then the next I read an article about some bleeding heart nancy-boy scientist (or Al Gore) and I just want to smack them upside the head. Then I don't care about the environment anymore. And age just makes it worse. I now care about less than ever before. I don't even care about good things I used to care about. I don't care about new music or new bands, nor do I care much about the latest televisions shows or movies. I just like to stand in the aisles of the local bookstore and mutter about the assholes that surround me.

The title is a misnomer, I'm not answering any questions about why things matter -- I guess I'm asking the question.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NORMAL!!"
there are only a bunch of people who are to scared to be who they are and would rather act like people they think other people like..

M. Smith said...

Amen to that my brother.

Anonymous said...

SuperG *mumbling to self*: Don't be showing my Dockers or boat shoes disrespect...