Monday, December 10, 2007

Favorite Cheeses

I like cheese.

I like cheese a lot.

If you add some cheese to a recipe, it becomes good. I like ham and cheese the best. There are no two other flavor combinations that taste as good as ham and cheese I think. Maybe whiskey and Coke. Peanut butter and jelly being a distant third.

Have you ever had Stilton cheese? It's like bleu cheese times 20. I've only had it a few times, and I'd been drinking or I never could have eaten it. But it's really good. I keep meaning to buy some but I don't drink much so I'm always afraid it's going to go bad before I get a chance to drink enough to eat some (pretty ironic, I know, since it already is bad).

Bleu Cheese is my favorite kind of salad dressing. I've been loving it for like 20 years now. When I was a kid it was French and Bleu cheese, but now French is a distant memory and it's just the BC. If a restaurant doesn't have BC I pretty much won't have salad. It's good on top of steak as well.

Gouda is another favorite. Comes from living in Germany near the border with Holland, where Gouda is the ubiquitous, inexpensive cheese that everybody loves. Like cheddar here. I prefer smoked Gouda most, but then again, I like just about any smoked cheese. Especially with ham.

Pepper Jack is awesome. I didn't discover it until later in life. It gives things a zest they might normally be missing. I made a recipe the other day for a kind of tortilla/chicken layered casserole, using nothing but pepper jack for cheese. It was a mistake. I should have put some orange cheese in as well. But it was zingy.

Swiss is another I didn't like as a kid so much, but got used to in Germany. If I'm having a sandwich, Swiss is what I'm wanting to be having on that sandwich. It's easy to get a lousy Swiss though.

You probably haven't heard of Provel cheese before. It's a mix of Provolone and Mozzarella that is specially made in St. Louis. They put it on their pizzas there and it has a special taste that is unique to the city. Provolone is good on sandwiches too.

Asiago is great too. Ranks up there along with fresh parmesan. Love it on bagels.

Myzythra, if you haven't had it, is awesome grated over some freshly made spaghetti. Brown a stick of butter first (just cook it over low-medium heat for like 20 minutes until it turns brown, but not grainy). Then top it with the grated cheese.

Dubliner - One of my new favorite cheeses. Kind of in the Asiago/Parmesan vein. Great with a baguette.

Cheddar, Colby, Jack -- those are all good too. Not really favorites though.

Canned cheese - Heaven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are my kid. Hope all is well. I have left you
alone cause I know that this is
a busy time. I miss you. L/mom

Anonymous said...

What a Cheesy post!
I agree I love cheese too.
Some of what you mention I haven't heard of. Most I would agree, But there is nothing as good to me as a good really sharp dry cheddar cheese. This is not so easy to find. Calbots in Vermont makes one. They call it Hunter Sharp. Its great on hot Apple Pie or just with slices of apple.