Saturday, August 16, 2008

Random Stuff

-From a web report about Michael Phelps : "Phelps’ seventh world record in his personal Great Haul of China."

Ha ha, Great Haul of China. Those sportswriters can be hilarious.

-Watched Batman - Dark Knight last week. Not hilarious. Too long. Too much action moving too fast for this old geezer. Maybe a 7 out of 10. I remember liking the first one quite a bit.

Had a funny moment while watching it though. We went to the 5.30 showing, so it was pretty empty, out in Clio, Michigan. Probably 10 people in the theatre overall. Just before the movie starts, two older guys, probably 50's or slightly older, come up and sit in the aisle and seats right behind us. Right behind us. Then they talk. They talk through the last preview and on into the opening of the movie. Not talking the whole time, just random, inane statements. Like when they're talking about Harvey Dent, one of the guys says, "Oh that's Aaron Eckhart, he's a good actor".

We both shush them a time or two, but they're still at it. Finally we both turn around, but the wife starts pounding the back of her seat, and goes, "Guys, do you mind! Stop talking". They're both like, "Oh." and didn't make a peep after. Way to go wife.

You never know what's gonna happen in that situation. Like are they gonna be assholes and keep talking just to bug you? Apparently they just figured talking during a movie was ok and this was the first they heard that it is not.

After the movie I heard them in the restroom near me and I was expecting them to be talking about 'that bitch in front of us'. Instead they just sounded like a couple of old movie nerds, talking about how much the movie offers up to think about. One guy gave it about a 7/10, same as me!

-One of the favorite things Lexi says right now is amn't. I'll say she's a little joker or something and she'll say, "No I amn't". Maybe this is common for kids, but it gets me every time.

-I've been digging the Olympics lately. Not actually watching them, though I had it on for a couple hours this morning and was watching some on the plane last night. I don't get caught up in the whole Olympic fever and patriotism and medal count, but I think they're cool. It's nice to see people who do get caught up in something big like that.

I'm amazed at some of the structures that get built for Olympics. That Swim Cube is cool. I went the Olympic Stadium in Munich back when I was a kid and that was cool too. Just some nice architecture, lots of cool design rather than just a slab of concrete. I don't even think it's bad for them to be in China. I mean, they aren't the politically correct games. Maybe the Chinese are pretty much assholes in the whole 'freedom' concept, but they're just the Olympics. If they start vying to give out the Nobel Peace Prizes in Beijing, then I'll riot.

-Michigan is lovely this time of year. We had a great trip. The kids loved loved loved seeing their Grandma and Grandpa. We saw lots of relatives in the Dinsmore family, maybe a few more than is wise, as there is no way I can remember who's who now.

Grandpa D built a swing/playset in the backyard just for Lexi and Noah and they loved it and abused it to no end. Not sure how much sand ended up staying in the sand box and how much ended up on the lawn. They took tractor rides on in the backyard on the riding lawnmower, and Daddy loved Grandpa's massage chair. Used it so much my spine was actually tender the next day.

The kids' Great Grandma Peg turned 90 this year and there was a big shindig for her. That was nice. Uncle Jeff and Aunt Sarah were there from California, which made it just that much nicer as well. The four of us took a little trip up to Frankfort/Elberta, which is on northern Lake Michigan, along with a couple of other cousins. Just went overnight, but we went on one of those alpine slides at a place called Crystal Mountain, then went to Sleeping Bear Dunes. It was beautiful weather and beautiful country.

I ended up getting a little flu bug for a couple of days. Not sure exactly what it was, but was laid up in bed off and on for a day or two. Had a pounding head the whole time. Luckily it was nearer the end of the trip after most the action had taken place, but I still felt bad for ruining the good time. Luckily it was mostly better in time for the trip home, as we had to drive to Detroit, take a bus to the airport, take two planes, then another shuttle to the car. The kids were mostly good on the plane, but it's not easy traveling with kids. Thank goodness all the passengers around us were good humored. Thank you fellow travelers!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to bad it wasn't one of the times I was working up there. Oh well.

Glad you had a great time. No get back to writing.......I'm the only one who can slack off and not post for a month :-P

Anonymous said...

Sure sounds like you had a great trip. We just went to Seattle clothes shopping for two days (2 teens and one tween), and it wasn't half bad. There is hope...

I got you a fridge magnet that I think you'll like, I'll slip it in the mail today.

-G-