Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC

I enjoyed watching the Democratic National Convention this past week. I wasn't actually hovering around the t.v. watching it all, but managed to watch a few speeches here and there. I guess I always thought there was more going on at these conventions. I assumed that during the day everyone gathered around and had symposiums on what the strategy should be, etc, rather than just having a big four day party, but whatever...

Obama's speech last night was great. I say this from the perspective of an ordinary, run-of-the-mill citizen. Someone mentioned that they felt like they were being an activist just by listening to him speak, and I echo this sentiment. I don't think he's perfect by any means, and his ideas and promises seem maybe a smidgen too far-reaching, but I think that's the point, that someone actually has ideas of changing the dank political scene that we've been miring in for years and years.

I've been cynical about politics since I was a kid. I did a report on Nixon as a kid, not knowing anything about him, and learning about how he was booted out of office. I figured he didn't do anything worse than any other president, he just happened to get caught. And this opinion has never changed.

But it's nice to see someone come along and offer up some hope. Some hope that things can change, and though it will not likely be a rosy walk in the park, at least we can get back on the right path towards being a great nation. It's been a long time since I was proud of my country. I know that usually when people say this they get lambasted for it by the right wingers, but it's true. Nobody can be proud of a being a nation of fat-assed blowhards being led by a nincompoop. And if you can then I feel sorry for you.

And this year I'm actually excited to vote. The last time I was excited to vote was in 1992 when I was 19 and voted for my first president. I'm a little ashamed to say that I voted for Perot, even after he had dropped out of the race then re-entered, but I've always been a little out there. I just felt like the traditional two party candidates weren't heading the right way either. I've voted a few times since then, but never with any degree of excitement that I could get behind one candidate or the other.

I don't think McCain would be the worst president either. I don't think he has much vision for changing things though. I think it will be politics as usual with him. Not necessarily as bad as it's been under Bush, but I don't feel any excitement from him. I do worry that he's too old to actually feel any excitement anymore. I'm 35 and I rarely feel any vim and vigor, he's twice my age and must just be happy to get some coffee and be alive each day, let alone try to change the course of a stagnant nation.

I do worry about his vp pick too. I mean, what a strange choice. Have you ever heard of this lady? I don't much follow politics, but at least I had heard of Joe Biden. I've heard of Alaska, but not this Palin lady. C'mon McCain, do you think everybody's stupid enough to suddenly vote for you because you chose a woman? There weren't any other women that people had heard of that you could have chosen? WTF?

Oh well, we shall see. I'm nervous about the election. I think the Democrats are like your hometown team, they can always mess it up. They may get overconfident and fall apart. I think everybody that supports Obama has to feel this way right now. He's managed to pull through to this point, but you can always mess things up. Maybe that's the true American way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you btw that it almost seems like someone behind McCain's campaign suggested 'yeah, pick a woman!' as a scheme--it smacked of objectifying women to me. it just may work too

Anonymous said...

Last night Jr, Val, and Asa were at the local Democratic office phone calling, and Jr. is considering applying for a local internship (afterschool). Hope Obama wins!
-G-