Sunday, January 14, 2007

Supersize me

Like many people, I saw Supersize me a couple years ago when it came out. I wouldn't say that it was a life-altering experience, since I never was fooled into thinking that fast food was anything other than bad for you, but for about 6 months after I saw it I didn't go to McDonalds more than a few times.

But, as is the norm, after some time you forget about all the bad stuff and slide back into old habits. I love McDonalds. It's not my favorite fast food joint, but it's cheap and easy and easy to pick up (kind of like my ex-wife ).

So one of my big new years resolutions is to start eating healthier. Notice I didn't say healthy, just healthier. And so far I've been pretty good about it. Two weeks in and I'm pretty proud.

Maybe it helps that I totally cut out smoking last year, so this doesn't seem too difficult. Plus, I figure I spent the past 20 years or so eating whatever I wanted without worrying about the consequences, so it seems like maybe having to exercise some discretion may not be the end of the world. If I drink soda, I drink diet soda. This is because I hate diet soda and I usually only drink about half a can. I've been eating smaller portions, and over the past 2 weeks I've noticed it getting easier to eat smaller amounts. I've been having little snacks more often too to help. And better portions of fruits and vegetables.

The upside: I've lost about 4 pounds in two weeks without having to exercise (ugh!). The downside: I get grumpy when I don't get enough junk food.

For now though it's been positive enough of an experience that I'll keep going for awhile and see what happens.

No comments: